The world of EDM/Dance moves so quickly, so much that at times it seems like too much of a revolving door of very high quality songs. With the influx of this genre in my chart over the last year, it slows down the pace for some of the songs to be showcased on the chart for up to 10 appearances (20 weeks). So while some of the performers have gone on to record other songs since, these are all of my current favourites, EDM/Dance or otherwise, and there’s a new #1 and a high-flying debut in the Top 10 🙂
The Top 10
- “Shy” in its Club mix by The Magician featuring vocalist Brayton Bowman takes over from Brandon Skeie at #1. “Shy” is a barnstorming dance floor filler with a really invested and soulful vocal, one of my favourite songs of 2016 so far!
- Soaring into the Top 5 at #4 from #10 is “Her And Him” by L.A.’s Mi Disguise & Rouse, a really cinematic song for a late night highway drive. It comes from the pair’s excellent mixtape called NGHT LFE.
- Ariana Grande’s “Into You” becomes her greatest success on this chart as it moves to #6. Also do check out the different and highly complimentary Wookie Vegas remix above.
- I didn’t like it enough for it to debut two weeks ago, but since then I’ve grown incredibly fond of “Closer” by The Chainsmokers and Halsey, so much that I’d call it the End of Summer Song for 2016. It’s this chart’s highest debut at #7. It’s really genuine and romantic in a “Reality Bites” kind of way, if you know what I mean 🙂 It will be as much a dance floor draw as for listening.
- Three more songs make their Top 10 debuts. No stranger to this part of the chart is Brandyn Burnette from his State I’m In EP with “Worship” (above) rising to #8. NYC’s Electric Bodega featuring vocalist Matt Beilis climb 15-9 with the incredibly infectious “Rest Of My Life”. And the Jenaux remix of the ultra cool “Native Son Prequel” by Gramatik featuring singer Leo Napier soars 17-10. Both of the latter are below.
Movin’ On Up
- You wouldn’t necessarily expect to find singer/actor Jesse McCartney on an EDM record but Built By Titan uses his voice to great effect on “Dangerous” which moves up a notch to #13.
- It should really have been the follow up to “Don’t Let Me Down”, but nonetheless “Inside Out” by The Chainsmokers featuring Charlee has now become a companion song to “Closer”, on this chart anyway 🙂 It jumps 20-14.
- The fastest riser on the chart belongs to a short but busy deep house track called “Balance” by The Him featuring vocalist Oktavian. The Him are popping up in high places now with remixes… watch out for more from them. “Balance” vaults 25-15.
- Atlanta singer/Victor Perry continues to advance 22-17 with his gracious ode to love that could have been called “Rainbows” from his EP 4 AM Nostalgia. I hear that a remix of “Rainbows” is coming soon 🙂
- The very busy duo called The Disco Fries moves up 24-18 featuring UK singer Hope Murphy on the powerful dance floor banger “Born Ready”.
- I think “We Don’t Talk Anymore” by Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez is going to be a long-lasting hit through September. It moves up 26-19 in its DROELOE remix.
- Vocal duo RKCB have great voices as evidenced on “Elevated”, which rises 27-20 in its Joe Mason remix. The duo was also recently featured on Steve James’ “In My Head” to great effect.
3 More Debuts
- It didn’t take long for it to become one of my favourites about to soar, but the beautiful “Broken” by Austin duo Tritonal along with NYC’s Jenaux and featuring none other than Adam Lambert quickly bows at #23. That makes it three chart appearances for Jenaux – #10, #11, and #23 😀 And the song follows two Top 10 songs from Adam’s last album The Original High, “Ghost Town” (#4) and “The Light” (#9).
- I know MAX Schneider fans may be soaking in the richness of the original ballad, but L.A.’s Two Friends really transformed “Lights Down Low” into a dance floor rave up. One of the best parts of the song is the simple chorus with some added vocal effects which enhance rather than detract. Anyway this collaboration between MAX and one of my favourite remix teams – who I hear have a remix of my #7 song on deck this week – lands at #25 not long out of the gate. It’s MAX’s third entry on this chart, following #1 “Wrong” and #6 “Ms Anonymous”.
- The final debut this week belongs to a song that should by all rights be a worldwide hit. Sweden’s Matoma meets UK’s Becky Hill for “False Alarm” which arrives at #26.
The complete chart:
02 01 SHY (Club mix) The Magician F/ Brayton Bowman
01 02 SO BAD (EDWYNN x TIKAL & Spirix remix) Brandon Skeie
03 03 SO HAPPY Tony Moran F/ Jason Walker
10 04 HER AND HIM Mi Disguise x Rouse
05 05 TAKE ME APART Lzrd x Spirix F/ Remmi
08 06 INTO YOU Ariana Grande
New 07 CLOSER The Chainsmokers F/ Halsey
11 08 WORSHIP Brandyn Burnette
15 09 REST OF MY LIFE Electric Bodega F/ Matt Beilis
17 10 NATIVE SON PREQUEL (Jenaux remix) Gramatix F/ Leo Napier
04 11 GET IT ON Jenaux
12 12 OPEN YOUR MIND Megaphonix
14 13 DANGEROUS Built By Titan F/ Jesse McCartney
20 14 INSIDE OUT The Chainsmokers F/ Charlee
25 15 BALANCE The Him F/ Oktavian
18 16 STATE I’M IN Brandyn Burnette
22 17 RAINBOWS Victor Perry
24 18 BORN READY (Halogen radio edit) The Disco Fries F/ Hope Murphy
26 19 WE DON’T TALK ANYMORE (DROELOE remix) Charlie Puth F/ Selena Gomez
27 20 ELEVATED (Joe Mason remix) RKCB
21 21 LIMITS Latchmere F/ Andreas Liberos
07 22 RUN RUN Kat Krazy F/ Johnny Stimson
New 23 BROKEN Tritonal & Jenaux F/ Adam Lambert
06 24 MAGNETISED (Kat Krazy remix) Tom Odell
New 25 LIGHTS DOWN LOW (Two Friends remix) MAX
New 26 FALSE ALARM Matoma F/ Becky Hill
09 27 DREAMIN’ Embody F/ Camden Cox
13 28 STRONGER (Steve Void edit) Nik Ernst
16 29 SOUND OF HOME (Snøwmass remix) Sterling Grove F/ Ellyn Woods
19 30 DON’T YOU CRY FOR ME Cobi
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify: BILLCS Top 30 Songs
http://www.planetradio.ca is back! Listen for my Pick of the Week at 2:20/6:20/10:20 AM/PM EST most days Monday through Sunday, and my flashbacks to a Toronto Top 10 of yesteryear return this Tuesday evening at 9pm EST