Regardless of what you think of The Chainsmokers after their 2016 successes, including a Grammy win for “Don’t Let Me Down”, you had to know that the only way was up in 2017. So they’re touring in Europe and headlining some of the biggest festivals. Yet they always find time for the fans and the up-and-coming producer/DJ’s who would like to taste even a modicum of what they’ve accomplished in a short period of time. Those who knew them before the “#Selfie” days must be gleaming.
So this week on the BILLCS Top 30, The Chainsmokers have the distinction of having the top two songs. The reflective “Paris” (above) remains at #1 by a hair, but the second single from their upcoming Memories…Do Not Open album co-written and performed with Coldplay, the anthemic singalong “Something Just Like This” (below), bows at #2 and is set to succeed “Paris” in two weeks. It’s the first time in a year since the same performer held the Top 2 – currently-charting Brandyn Burnette did it in January 2016 with “Nothing At All” at #1 and “Lost (Stripped)” at #2. And it’s Coldplay’s first appearance on this chart, their 8th in total, since 2008’s #1 “Viva La Vida”.
And with this feat, half of the Top 10 changes…
Four More New Entries in the Top 10
- German producer/DJ/guitarist Koni soars 13-3 with the glorious pop tune “Mad About You” featuring a delightful vocal by Danelle. Had The Chainsmokers hits not come along, well, you can do the math!
- The sultry and evocative “Memories Of You” by Alyx Ander featuring Srey Davi bounds 15-7 in this release for Nettwerk Records.
- Following the #4 “Just A Dream”, Molly Moore follows it into the Top 10 11-8 with “Imaginary Friends”, from the EP Now You See Me, with fine remixes by Pluto and TelyKAST.
- Heroic Records lands in the Top 10 for the first time thanks to German producer JPB and British singer Luke Cusato with the lovely “For You” rising 12-10.
Also Movin’ On Up
- Set to follow “Cake By The Ocean” into the Top 10, DNCE gets “Naked” moving 14-11.
- The fastest riser on the chart belongs to a third German producer/DJ, Levi, but featuring the gorgeous tones of American singer Victor Perry on “Sail”, which vaults 24-13.
- Crywolf is in the midst of his North American tour, and a new EP Skeletons is due next week. The epic “Windswept” climbs 20-14.
- The Toronto pairing of Loud Luxury and Ryan Shepherd is responsible for a killer deep house redux of Craig David’s “Fill Me In”, retitled “Something To Say” (and also remixed by none other than Tiësto!), and it leaps 25-15.
- I’m also looking forward to hearing more from Toronto quartet Blajk, whose song “Lethal” rises 21-16.
- The bubbly, Broadway-flavoured Christofi remix of Elohim’s “Hallucinating” continues to climb nicely, up 22-19.
- Brandyn Burnette’s third EP Feature Films is now available on all digital platforms, and the ambitious song from it called “Manifest” climbs 29-20.
- The final debut from two weeks ago, “Know Myself” from Denmark’s Owkey featuring UK vocalist Ashdown, is no slouch rising 30-23.
One Last Debut
- While The Chainsmokers and Coldplay’s high, high debut kind of steals some of its thunder, totally catchy in a different way is “WTFYWF” by Mahalo featuring Cat Lewis. And yes, this collaboration is still riding high in the Top 10, moving to #9 with the exceptional “Be My Love”. “WTFYWF” is a ribald, no holds barred party song which debuts at #22.
View the full BILLCS Top 30 right here, and be sure to click on the photos to hear all of the songs.
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify: BILLCS Top 30 Songs
Listen for me on http://www.planetradio.ca live on Tuesday evenings, and with my Pick of the Week segment throughout the week at 2:20 6:20 10:20 AM/PM EST