The last chart of 2013 is also my first chart of 2014, when last year’s favourites start to fade a bit and new ones start to take charge.
- The Top 4 are exactly the same as two weeks ago: Bright Light Bright Light’s “An Open Heart” (#11 for 2013) and “What’s Going On” by Monsieur Adi & A*M*E (#17 for 2013) are still too hard to dislodge, with Anton Ewald’s “Can’t Hold Back” (#21 for 2013) about to give way to Travis Garland’s “Easy”.
- SIRPAUL busts a move right into the Top 5 with “Every Single Moment” (8-5), which not only can swirl you out onto the dance floor but dazzle you with its excellent lyrics. It’s a grower, but a winner!
- I am by no means nowhere near done with Martin Garrix’s “Animals” as it continually lodges itself inside my head. It would have made for some appropriate party music in last night’s festivities. “Animals” moves up 11-6.
- “Gold” by UK singer Eurielle vaults into the Top 10 at #7, from her compelling 3 song EP The Incarnation. Watch the tantalizing video above.
- “Breathe Me” is a poignant and minimal cover of the Sia song by Portugal’s Carlos Nóbrega, climbing 15-10 and becoming his second Top 10 placing on my chart.
- The middle of the chart finds songs still on the rise from Jarell Perry, “Glee”/Adam Lambert, Lady GaGa & R. Kelly and Corey Niles & Dru.
- Debuts from the last chart are all taking off smoothly. Bright Light Bright Light’s “In Your Care” is the fastest riser, up 24-16, making this a double whammy week for Rod Thomas who also has the #1 song. Lady GaGa’s “MANiCURE” and Cage The Elephant’s “Come A Little Closer” (coming closer to becoming a pop hit, I think) climb 28-21 and 29-23.
- I’ve written about both of our newcomers. It’s no surprise that “Motel Pool” by Travis Garland bows at #22 complete with its damn proper sexy video. Travis’ self-titled album is my go-to when I don’t know what to listen to. The song is also from the new Motel Pool EP available on iTunes. “Talking To The Walls” got a flood of attention right away when I wrote about it in October, but it’s gone a little too quiet. I’ve not forgotten about this hypnotic song from new singer Své. Watch the video below, which has some strange twists and a cameo from “Go For Gold” and former Click Five singer Kyle Patrick. It debuts on my chart at #28.
- If you thought Neverest might go back to a ballad for their next single, you might not be prepared for the techno/dubsteppy power in “Take Cover”, which was released today as a free download from their Facebook page (you have to “like” it of course) right here. Like “Rewind” (my #13 song of 2013), “Take Cover” is an ambitious and tight record that will slide into their set list rather neatly. Can’t wait to hear it in concert! There’s no link yet for me to provide – just take my word on this one folks!
- Juno Award winning Canadian R&B/pop singer Remy Shand has eased back into the music scene this year after being away from it for a decade. He’s very active on Twitter, often providing many links to some great obscure and not-so-obscure songs which obviously shape his styles of music. His new song released today on Bandcamp, “The Best In Me”, starts off with a low vocal register introduction, but doesn’t venture much beyond what he gave us in the past, which is not a bad thing at all. Slick production and some amazing guitar work that rounds out the end of the song make it more than worthwhile. You can hear and purchase the song right here.
- Dutch singer Matt Blue keeps issuing fine singles that hopefully one day will make an EP or album. Released on You Tube just before the New Year is “Fireworks”, a bit slighter than past efforts “Can’t Help Myself” and last year’s #32 song “Outta My Mind”, but still in a positive and upbeat vein. And when there’s such a fine voice singing the song you can’t help but be impressed.
Listen to the songs or watch the videos using the links on the pictures on the pretty and details web edition of my chart.
01 01 AN OPEN HEART Bright Light Bright Light
02 02 WHAT’S GOING ON Monsieur Adi F/ A*M*E
03 03 CAN’T HOLD BACK Anton Ewald
04 04 EASY Travis Garland
08 05 EVERY SINGLE MOMENT SIRPAUL
11 06 ANIMALS Martin Garrix
13 07 GOLD Eurielle
05 08 I HAVE A NAME Osvaldo Supino
07 09 DO I HAVE TO DANCE Simon Curtis
15 10 BREATHE ME Carlos Nóbrega
06 11 WE CAN’T STOP SUMMERTIME SADNESS DATABOY
14 12 4TH OF JULY Jarell Perry
18 13 MARRY THE NIGHT Glee Cast F/ Adam Lambert
09 14 JULIET Lawson
19 15 DO WHAT U WANT Lady Gaga F/ R. Kelly
24 16 IN YOUR CARE Bright Light Bright Light
22 17 ROLLERCOASTER Corey Niles F/ Dru
20 18 KEEP ME RUNNING Andy Suzuki & The Method
21 19 I CAN’T HELP IT Dangerous Muse
10 20 BERLIN WALL Simon Curtis
28 21 MANiCURE Lady Gaga
New 22 MOTEL POOL Travis Garland
29 23 COME A LITTLE CLOSER Cage The Elephant
12 24 SOMEBODY LOVES YOU Betty Who
16 25 ADORN Miguel F/ Jessie Ware
17 26 APPLAUSE Lady Gaga
23 27 IMPOSSIBLE Ryan Star
New 28 TALKING TO THE WALLS Své
25 29 HEADHUNTER Parralox
26 30 MA RADIO Osvaldo Supino