A scorching new #1 and 4 debuts highlight edition my 478th bi-weekly chart since 1998 🙂
The Top 10
- MAX Schneider’s “Wrong” hangs in long enough to score an appearance at the top 🙂 I couldn’t let all of those Prince-ly high notes get away just yet! This is because MAX has already released a video for a song from his upcoming album Hell’s Kitchen Angel, out on April 8. Check out “Holla” below.
- Congratulations to The Knocks for their excellent long-awaited album 55, which was released this past Friday. The Wyclef Jean-led “Kiss The Sky” climbs 4-2 and undoubtedly more songs from 55 will prevail on this chart 🙂
- Troye Sivan is a vivid force on this chart with three showings: “Talk Me Down” (below) glides 7-5, while “Wild” climbs 9-6 and “Fools” rises 17-13. All songs are from his continually impressive Blue Neighbourhood album. “Youth” is beckoning from outside of the Top 30 too.
- While Simon Curtis’ redux of “8bit Heart” slips to #4, the Super 8bit Heart version of “Super Psycho Love” continues to climb 10-7 as Simon’s “Boy Robot” novel gets an earlier October release!
- Fun on the dance floor continues as Craig David & Big Narstie arrive at #9 with “When The Bassline Drops”. It’s Craig’s first Top Tenner here since “7 Days” in 2002.
- The fastest riser on the chart has its designs on #1 – soon! Canadians DVBBS and Dante Leon should be all over dance club charts – and maybe even pop charts too – with the irresistible “Angel”, which soars 23-10.
Movin’ On Up
- The Voice Season 10 has started up again with some interesting contestants, including Nick Hagelin, who I’ve written about many times and will be writing about soon again. Clinton Washington gave an excellent showing two seasons ago and has produced some beautiful songs lately. Despite the emphasis on my chart towards dance music, his gorgeous ballad “Frozen” rises 14-11.
- The rest of the last chart’s debuts all break into the Top 20. The joyous and anthemic Cloudchord remix of Jamie xx & Romy’s “Loud Places” bounds 24-17, and right behind it is the Norwegian EDM grace of “Faded” by Alan Walker (featuring the gorgeous voice of Iselim Solheim) up 25-18 (both above), and rising 27-20 is the both truthful and amusing “u suck” by Minnesota’s Call Me Karizma (below), featuring a cool interpolation of “Why Don’t You Do Right” as recorded by Bev Lee Harling.
- It takes a lot for me to enjoy a cover version as much as or even maybe more than the original. I love the way that Jonas Blue and Dakota have made Tracy Chapman’s huge 1988 hit “Fast Car” into this introspective song for a highway drive along a beach coast. And of course you can dance to it too, so I’m looking forward to official remixes! This Top 5 UK hit should do the same on North American shores. I particularly enjoy covers when they don’t take anything away from the original. This one expands on that and runs with it 🙂 “Fast Car” arrives at #23.
- Another song for warm, late nights and dancing on the beach is “Beat The Sunrise” by SNBRN featuring vocalist Andrew Watt, as remixed by Dutch producer/DJ Steve Void. It’s all warm and good natured for middle-of-the-night grooving and bows at #24.
- Sweden’s Hellberg is on a breakthrough with the emotional EDM of “Synchronize” featuring a fine vocal by American singer Aaron Richards. This is just a taste of great things to come from this talented producer/DJ and debuts at #25.
- Miguel’s Wildheart naughtiness has caught up with me and I have completely given in. And it makes me ask, almost belatedly, why “Waves” isn’t all over everywhere yet? It could still happen with new remixes by the likes of Tame Impala and one featuring Travis $cott. But I like the sexy original best and it jumps onto the chart at #26. It’s Miguel’s first appearance here since “Adorn” went to #1 in 2013 in his UK duet version with Jessie Ware.
Listen to the songs or watch the videos using the links on the pictures on the pretty and detailed web edition of my chart. Go on, have a look and listen/watch 🙂
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify 🙂 BILLCS Top 30 Songs
You can now hear me online on http://www.planetradio.ca every Tuesday at 9:00 pm EST counting down a Toronto Top 10 chart from yesteryear, and then again every Thursday in a rebroadcast at 7:00 a.m. EST on WROCK http://www.wlor.net!