The increasingly fast pace of the online music community, especially those in EDM/dance, has created a shift on my bi-weekly chart, with five more debuts this week. My favourites up top are hard to dislodge right now but will soon have to make way for new ones 🙂
The Top 10
- Newly signed to Warner Chappell/Justin Tranter publishing this week, Brandon Skeie retains the pole position with his delightful “So Bad”, either in original form or the splendid remix by EDWYNN x TIKAL and Spirix. It ties “Care For Me” by Dzeko & Torres and Hellberg (now #20) as the longest running #1 of 2016 so far.
- Both the #3 and #4 songs have a funk undercurrent in common which makes them stand apart from other songs this year. Snøwmass’ crunchy remix of “Sound Of Home” by Canadians Sterling Grove and Ellyn Woods moves to #3, while the 80’s retro funk/R&B sound of Jenaux’s original “Get It On” climbs to #4.
- For the second time, the fastest riser belongs to the glorious “So Happy” by Tony Moran and Jason Walker which rises 12-5 and has its sights on the top. Will it get there? It largely depends on other songs on the rise further down.
- Making it two-for-two in the Top 10, L.A.-based producer/remixer/performer Spirix lands at #8 in partnership with LZRD and vocalist Remmi for the crazy/emotional “Take Me Apart”. One to watch 🙂
- Michael Christofi gets his first Top Tenner with the slick classic house of “Don’t Need You”, featuring a marvelous vocal by J-VEN. It moves up 11-9.
- Following 2013’s debut “The Way”, Ariana Grande is back in the Top 10 at #10 with the slick, R&B flavoured “Into You” from the Dangerous Woman album.
Movin’ On Up
- Chicago’s Megaphonix continues to climb up the chart with the fun and positive deep house track “Open Your Mind”, rising 20-14. Spin this and watch your dance floor fill up!
- L.A.-based singer/songwriter Brandyn Burnette is really expanding his horizons with the diverse songs from his recent EP State I’m In. The title song (video coming soon!) climbs 26-22 while the hypnotic “Worship” jumps 21-17.
- The songs from the mixtape NGHT LFE by Mi Disguise and Rouse have major growing power. The late night romance in “Her And Him” rises 23-18 but I wouldn’t second guess a future debut from another song on the mixtape sometime soon!
- One song I’ll be heaping praise over for the next few weeks is “Shy” by Belgium’s The Magician featuring NYC-based singer/songwriter Brayton Bowman. This old-style disco-flavoured track is one of the most powerful, ear-catching dance songs around thanks to a riveting vocal by Brayton. It plows onto the chart at #19!
- Another song with a fantastic vocal but an emotional quality that will leave it stuck in your head is “Rest Of My Life” by NYC’s Electric Bodega. The vocalist is Matt Beilis and I could listen to him sing anything. “Rest Of My Life” bows at #23.
- Following his success with “Get It On” (currently #4), Jenaux continues to funkify other songs through remixes, and one that works especially well is “Native Son Prequel” by Gramatik. But what also helps make this song special are the ultra cool lyrics and equally smooth vocals which are so into it all by Leo Napier. “Native Son Prequel” premieres at #25.
- I’m not sure it will happen, since it was pretty well released simultaneously with “Don’t Let Me Down” (now #13), but to me “Inside Out” by The Chainsmokers featuring Charlee should be “Down”‘s follow up hit. So many remixes, including those by KLYMVX and Not Your Dope x Spirix, show the diversity and power in this particular song that worked so well with “Down” too. “Inside Out” debuts at #26.
- A few weeks back I was pleased to write about “Rainbows” by new Atlanta singer/songwriter Victor Perry, which helped send it to #1 for a few days on the Hype Machine Twitter chart! It’s also got some positive vibes from other blogs since then too. It’s a beautiful classic ballad – “Rainbows” arrives at #27, from Victor’s EP 4 A.M. Nostalgia.
Listen to the songs or watch the videos using the links on the pictures on the pretty and detailed web edition of my chart. Go on, have a look and listen/watch
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify: BILLCS Top 30 Songs
http://www.planetradio.ca is back! Listen for my Pick of the Week at 2:20/6:20/10:20 AM/PM EST most days Monday through Sunday, and my flashbacks to a Toronto Top 10 of yesteryear return this Tuesday evening at 9pm EST