It’s STILL summer folks and there’s plenty of great dance music driving us through till Fall in a few weeks 🙂
The Top 10
- “Shy” by The Magician featuring Brayton Bowman stays on top for a second appearance, and if not for #2 it might have a longer reign at #1…
- Despite all of the very good remixes and covers I’ve heard, I still love the original and “Closer” by The Chainsmokers and Halsey advances 7-2. The song now credits two members of The Fray as co-writers due to similarities between “Closer” and the group’s 2006 hit “Over My Head (Cable Car)”. That song was also a BILLCS Top 30 #1 back in the day… I really can only hear them slightly after it was brought to my attention, but better to settle now than years later. The Chainsmokers meanwhile are working on their album, but I don’t think we’ll see it till 2017.
- Just crank ’em up in the car: “Her And Him” (ab0ve) by Mi Disguise x Rouse climbs 4-3; and below, Electric Bodega & Matt Beilis’ “Rest Of My Life” jumps 8-4; and the funky Jenaux remix of Gramatik & Leo Spence’s “Native Son Prequel” leaps 10-5.
- One of the best deep house songs around for clubs is deserving of some extended remixes. It’s the all-too-brief “Balance” by The Him featuring Oktavian, which soars 15-8. This one is also pop radio-ready!
- The fastest riser on the chart belongs to Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez with “We Don’t Talk Anymore”, which rockets 19-10. It’s also available in a fun new unofficial remix courtesy of L.A. producer The Wookie.
Movin’ On Up
- Victor Perry’s gorgeous song about heartbreak “Rainbows” continues to climb 17-13. It’s from his EP 4 AM Nostalgia, and I still hear some remixes are coming 🙂
- The Disco Fries’ rollicking “Born Ready”, featuring an intense vocal by Hope Murphy, moves up 18-14.
- I still have money on this song breaking out even to radio, but definitely clubs and dance music radio should be all over “Broken” by Tritonal and Jenaux featuring Adam Lambert, which moves 23-18.
- Moving 25-19 is a remix that is really a redux – transforming a beautiful ballad into a late night party anthem. Such is the case with Two Friends’ remix of “Lights Down Low” by MAX.
- Right behind is what should be the North American breakout for Sweden’s Matoma featuring the UK’s Becky Hill on “False Alarm”, which climbs 26-20. It’s also now available in a super Steve Void remix 🙂
- Toronto’s Chet Porter really mixes it up with all of the subtleties and melodic changes in his new song “Stay”, featuring Chelsea Cutler on vocals. That makes it a song that stands out as a centrepiece in a set, and it arrives at #24.
- Bebe Rexha’s vocal on “In The Name Of Love” grabs you with its intensity, and it helps make her pairing with 20 year old Martin Garrix something special. It bows at #25, and becomes Martin’s fourth chart entry here following two #1’s, “Animals” and “Proxy”, as well as the #3 collaboration “Gold Skies” with Sander van Doorn and DVBBS.
- When Brandyn Burnette songs are on my chart, they multiply fast – so now it’s three, following #7 “Worship” and #15 “State I’m In”. Producer Sean Turk reimagined “Closer” in a crunchy EDM mix, and the result is even better than the original from the State I’m In EP. “Closer” debuts at #26 and the remix is a free download.
- The fourth debut belongs to L.A. producer Steve James with “In My Head”, which features the slick ‘n soulful vocals of duo RKCB, who are also at #16 with the Joe Mason remix of “Elevated”. Besides those voices, there is a drop that slays every time and “In My Head” premieres at #28.
View the full BILLCS Top 30 right here, and be sure to click on the photos to hear all of the songs.
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify: BILLCS Top 30 Songs
http://www.planetradio.ca is back! Listen for my Pick of the Week at 2:20/6:20/10:20 AM/PM EST most days Monday through Sunday, and my flashbacks to a Toronto Top 10 of yesteryear return this Tuesday evening at 9pm EST