Just after the New Year, the BILLCS Top 30 will reach its 500th chart! Now I suppose if I had been posting it weekly it would be well over 1,000 editions by now. In this edition, there are so many hot new songs that several get caught in a mid-chart log jam while others continue to flourish near the top. And don’t discount the four new songs that arrive either!
The Top 10
- “Closer” by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey will always be a hard act to follow now that it’s one of the biggest hits of 2016. So that’s all the more reason why Alex and Drew should release another single! Below you can hear “All We Know” featuring Phoebe Ryan.
- (free download!)Both “Native Son Prequel” by Gramatik featuring Leo Napier in a Jenaux remix (holding at #2) and “Balance” by The Him featuring Oktavian (up 6 to 3) are positioning themselves nicely to succeed “Closer” at the top. But which one will do it, or will something else beat them to it? Aussie teen Joe Mason is already scoring on this chart with his remix of “Elevated” by RKCB at #13, but check out his remix of “Balance” below (free download!).
- MAX gets his second Top 5 hit on this chart with the Two Friends remix of “Lights Down Low”, which vaults 9 to 5. And if you missed my blog post on his new project called Party Pupils, with their cover of OutKast’s “Ms Jackson”, you can check it out right here.
- The remixes keep arriving for “Rainbows” by Victor Perry, which continues to advance 8 to 7. Check out Zewmøb’s bright and funky remix below (free download!).
- I’m very happy that two EDM acts that continue to break out happen to land in my Top 10 at the same time. Tritonal’s “Broken” (with Jenaux and featuring Adam Lambert, above) climbs 12-9 and “False Alarm” by Matoma featuring Becky Hill (below) moves up 13-10. Matoma put on a heckuva show on September 23 in Toronto , where the audience was very drawn to the variety in his set… imagine what he could do with a stadium-sized audience! Tritonal has their turn coming up in my city on October 14 🙂
Movin’ On Up
- The fastest riser on the chart this week belongs to young Norwegian singer Jesper Jenset whose wickedly catchy “High” scores in a Young Bombs remix, climbing 22-15 ahead of some pretty fierce competition!
- Also making a key move on the chart this week is Steve James collaboration with duo RKCB on “In My Head”, which like “High” has a drop that’s hard to beat. “In My Head” moves up 20-16.
- Rihanna’s “Love On The Brain” advances 21-19 but fear not, it’s just caught in that log jam of great new songs and should break loose in two weeks.
- Liquid Diet’s “Luminary” from the trio’s debut album Double Life rises 24-20, while they’ve released a hilarious and raucous NSFW video to their song “My C**t” (below) – if you’ve seen something like it before, think less wild and Austin Mahone (also below) 😉
- Rod Thomas, aka Bright Light Bright Light, has now proven three times that he can make great albums and not just great singles. Each of his albums has excellent deeper tracks, and in particular those are the ones that register with me more on Choreography. His collaboration with Scissor Sisters’ Ana Matronic “I Only Want To Please You” is up 26-21.
- “Just A Dream” is a dark, hallucinogenic feast for the ears by Molly Moore and featuring Brandyn Burnette in one of their best vocal pairings yet. Culled from Molly’s upcoming EP Now You See Me, “Just A Dream” climbs 27-22.
And They Keep On Comin’ … Four Debuts
- Arriving at #23, why it’s Brandyn Burnette again (four times in this chart 😀 ), this time fronting Elephante’s song “Plans” from the I Am The Elephante EP. “Plans” shows incredible versatility from both performers, just when you think there’s not another side that can be showcased, here it is! Just a beautiful song, too.
- If it didn’t get you from first listen – for shame! My fellow Torontonian The Weeknd surprised everyone with the immediate release of “Starboy”, featuring none other than Daft Punk, and then its compelling video. It should be topping charts everywhere in the next two weeks, and bows here at #24.
- L.A. quintet Satchmode write some pretty interesting songs, and one of them, “Undertow” was recently remixed by NYC brothers Anden, which got it featured on Tiesto’s Club Life mix. Anden gives it a late night cruising-down-PCH feel to it, and it premieres at #27! My original post about it is right here. It’s a free download too!
- One of the most inauspicious instrumentals of 2016 received a winning remix this summer, which got it to #1 on the Hype Machine charts. The song is “Vague” by Fabian Luttenberger, as remixed by none other than Saxity’s talented Stan Sax – so yes, do listen for the highlight that is the saxophone break! “Vague” is one sultry affair that will be stuck in your head for days (check out my original post right here), and is new to the chart at #28. It’s another free download!
View the full BILLCS Top 30 right here, and be sure to click on the photos to hear all of the songs.
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify: BILLCS Top 30 Songs
Listen for me with my Pick of the Week at 2:20/6:20/10:20 AM/PM EST on http://www.planetradio.ca most days Monday through Sunday, and my flashbacks to a Toronto Top 10 of yesteryear Tuesday evenings at 9pm EST