The chart has a new #1 and a high-flying debut to watch in the coming weeks!
The Top 10
- “Attention” by Charlie Puth slides in at #1 as the title for his upcoming second album has been announced: Voice Notes. The song’s slick bassline and honest delivery made it a sure thing for the top of my chart. Like many of you, I hadn’t known of Charlie Puth till I heard “See You Again”, but he’s a stadium concert headliner in the making 🙂 Catch him on tour opening for Pickering, Ontario native Shawn Mendes (below), who also arrives at #10 this week with “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back”.
- While Axel Mansoor had to give up the top spot held by “Wasted My Love” during June, he glides to #2 with its follow up, “Out Of My Head”. Like “Wasted”, “Head” is a free download, as are many songs in the upper reaches of this chart 🙂
- When you can sing a good, interesting story, it resonates and stays in your head. Such is the case with “Silent Games” as sung by Hawaiian singer Zekt, and produced by Germany’s Lars Beck and Henri Purnell. It soars 11-5.
- Right behind “Silent Games” is Bobby Nourmand’s summer song “D U S T”, which climbs 10-6. Bobby has new music coming very soon for Potion Records once again, so you will know where to read about it!
- The third entry into the Top 10 is “Byte” by Dutchmen Martin Garrix and Brooks. It’s a feisty instrumental that doesn’t let up and is accompanied by a flashy video. “Byte” rises 12-9.
Movin’ On Up
- Cosmos & Creature – Brandyn Burnette and Molly Moore to you and me – appear to be on deck for their first Top 10 as a lead artist under this project name with the engaging “Bad Drug”, which sails 17-11. The duo got to the Top 10 (#7) as a featured artist on Vicetone’s “Bright Side” last year. We need to see C&C more on the east coast please!!
- Sweden’s Anton Ewald is also heading for the Top 10 – where all of his charted songs have landed in the past, but as high as #2 – with “L.I.L.Y.”, or “like I love you”, promoted by a video that is all Anton. The song’s obvious Michael Jackson and Justin Timberlake influences are more inspiring rather than obvious borrowings. “L.I.L.Y.” moves up 20-14.
- Martin Garrix’s second entry shows the best of his pop side, and with Troye Sivan on vocals for “There For You” it’s taken to another level entirely. It’s his best ‘pop’ single to date, aside of course from “Animals”, and charges up the chart 22-15.
- “Astronauts” is one of the catchiest and most energetic songs of the year, EDM or otherwise. It’s brought to you by a wide collaboration of three Danes and a Scot: Boye & Sigvardt & MAGNÜS – the lone Scot – featuring vocalist Uhre. It leaps 23-18.
- The fastest riser on the chart is a classic house remix with an equally classic piece of storytelling to make it all gel. I’m talking about former Same Difference member Sean Smith’s “Magic”, which in its Andy Sikorski remix, soars 28-20.
- You can now check out the video to The Killers’ latest single “The Man”, which moves up 27-24.
Three New Entries
- He’s back and stronger than ever, a fixture on the BILLCS Top 30 these past 7 years, Bright Light Bright Light. Following his album Choreography, he’s just released his second EP as well in 2017, Tales Of The City, which is a huge warm musical hug for NYC and to anyone who feels they are simply not good enough for even themselves 🙂 And he’s given the city a new theme song, “New York Pretty”, with a vibrant video that makes the package a full circle. BLx2 has already had 5 #1’s on this chart, will “New York Pretty” be his next one? It arrives out of the gate at #16.
- While previous single “I Wonder” still hangs in at #28, Dutch duo The Him are back with another impressive single, the R&B-flavoured “Secrets”, featuring a glistening vocal by L.A. singer Cub Rayan. It bows at #23.
- After enticing us with thoughtful but sultry singles like “Guilty As Sin” and “My Religion” in 2015, Toronto’s Dan Talevski is back with the fun and light-hearted “Birthday Suit”. Debuting at #25, we’ll have to see if the upcoming video is saucy or playful or a bit of both 🙂
View the full BILLCS Top 30 right here, and be sure to click on the photos to hear all of the songs.
Listen to the BILLCS Top 30 Songs on Spotify! Click on this link to take you there, and follow me on Spotify: BILLCS Top 30 Songs
Planet Radio Canada is on hiatus and will return http://www.planetradio.ca 🙂